Your MystiCon membership entitles you to attend programming and special events and to help yourself to refreshments in the Hospitality Suite. Your membership also comes with the assumption that you will agree to the following.
Behavior and Harrassment Policy
Behave politely. MystiCon is a family friendly convention. Please understand that we consider ourselves a family friendly convention at all times but also encourage a nightlife after 10PM. Be respectful about others around you and keep costumes before 10PM family-friendly and non-fetish oriented. Violators may be removed at MystiCon’s discretion. We will not tolerate public profanity, public nudity, displays of violence, or overtly anti-social behavior. Speak, act, and dress accordingly. If guests do not wish to talk, sign autographs, or have pictures taken, try again later.
MystiCon is dedicated to providing a harassment-free convention experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form.Harassment of any kind, including physical, verbal, and internet-based, will not be tolerated. If you are unsure of what constitutes harassment, err on the side of caution. If someone tells you to stop doing something or to leave them alone, do so immediately. If you experience or witness harassment or have other concerns about attendees’ behavior, please seek out a staff member or go to the Con Ops office located beside the hotel’s front desk.
Respect your fellow con attendees (even if you disagree with them, and it’s fine to respectfully disagree!), and generally behave decently and use common sense. Violation of this policy or behavior that is violent or extremely disrespectful or disruptive may result in the revocation of your MystiCon membership without a refund, and we reserve the right to ban you from future MystiCon events.
1) Wear your badge at all times. It is your pass, and without it you will not be allowed into con events or the Hospitality Suite. Treat it like it’s your ID or your keys. Turn found badges in to registration, and check there if you lose yours (we may ask for your ID—please don’t be offended if we do not immediately recognize you). At any time when you are on convention premises you may be asked to show your badge if it is not visible. If you share your badge with another person, both of you may be barred from MystiCon, and no refunds will be given.
2) All participants must obey the MystiCon Weapons Policy found below.
3) No smoking, vaping, food, or drink is allowed in convention function rooms. No food or drink should be taken out of the Hospitality Suite. Smokers must go out to the pool area or the parking lots to indulge. Please dispose of cigarettes in the appropriate receptacles.
4) MystiCon fans have a great reputation for being kind and gentle to con spaces. Please help us maintain a good relationship with the hotel and help us out by cleaning up after yourself. No open fires are permitted in the hotel.
5) Parties are fine, but limit noise and do not expand festivities into the hallways. Respect the right of other people to have a quiet environment.
6) No alcoholic beverages are allowed outside hotel rooms. If you are not 21 years of age or older, you cannot legally drink in Virginia. You may be criminally charged for providing alcoholic beverages to anyone under 21.
7) Obey parking signs and traffic markings. Do not block travel lanes or other vehicles. Some surrounding businesses may tow convention members’ vehicles from their lots. Be warned. If unsure of parking availablility, please inquire at the hotel’s front desk.
8) All MystiCon participants are responsible for the security of their own persons and property with regards to injury, loss, theft, or damage. MystiCon reserves the right to clear each room after an event or panel. Attendees will not be allowed to remain in the room for the next event.
9) No merchandise may be sold except in the Dealers’ Room or other areas designated by MystiCon. Per hotel policy, selling from sleeping rooms is strictly prohibited. Sellers must collect and pay appropriate taxes to Roanoke County and the Commonwealth of Virginia. Sellers are solely responsible for ensuring the legality of their merchandise.
10) Do not block doorways or hallways. If you are asked to make way, do so.
11) MystiCon does not offer any child care services. All children under 12 must be accompanied by a responsible adult while in the convention area. Parents will be held accountable for their children’s actions. Please make sure that your child carries some form of written identification and your contact information so that MystiCon staff may contact you in the event that you become separated. Some art and merchandise may depict violence or nudity. Some programming items after 10 p.m. may be of an adult nature.
12) Signatures are limited. Guests will not autograph more than three (3) items per attendee per occasion. If you want more than three items signed, get in line again.
13) Flash photography at the Masquerade is banned because of its potential to daze or blind participants.
14) No cameras, parcels, containers, or bags are allowed in the Art Show. MystiCon assumes no responsibility for items left at the Art Show entry.
15) MystiCon’s guest list, program items, and times are subject to change without prior notice. Please check our whiteboard at Registration or ask at the Con Ops office for the most current available information and changes. The Eventbase app may be updated throughout the weekend. Use the refresh feature to view any changes.
16) Only service animals are allowed in the convention areas. Service animals are defined as animals that are individually trained to perform tasks for people with disabilities such as guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling wheelchairs, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure or performing other special tasks. Service animals are working animals, not pets. No other animals are allowed in convention areas.
17) Ask a MystiCon staff member if you are unsure whether something you have in mind is permitted. Tell a MystiCon staff member if you have a problem with something going on at the convention. Our aim is to make your convention experience a pleasant one that you will want to repeat next year.
18) Know exit locations. If the fire emergency alarm and strobe warning lights are activated, evacuate the hotel immediately in a calm and orderly manner. Do not stop to gather up property before leaving. Once outside, do not re-enter the hotel until authorities give the all clear.
19) There is a curfew of midnight for all persons under 18 years of age, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. This policy will be strictly enforced by MystiCon staff.
MystiCon permits the wear and carrying of weaponry as part of costumes. MystiCon also requires responsible handling of weapons. Persons who do not follow the guidelines shown below may forfeit their convention memberships and be asked to leave MystiCon.
1) All weapons must be sheathed or holstered. All bladed weapons must be peace‐bonded at all times. If your weapon does not have a sheath or holster, keep it in your belt, at your side, or securely wrapped. (See exceptions for Masquerade and Photography.)
2) Do not fire any projectile weapons in MystiCon convention space, either inside or outside the hotel. This includes all bows, water guns, Nerf guns, Silly String cans, ping‐pong ball projectors, CO2 pistols, rubber‐band guns, marshmallow shooters, pea shooters, spud guns, or any other device designed to launch, shoot, emit, project, or fire an object or burst of gas. Weapons designed solely to give off light and sound may be allowed if the intensity of the light and/or sound is determined by MystiCon staff not to be dangerous or disruptive. Lasers and air horns may not be used at MystiCon.
3) Do not draw, wave, aim, or brandish a weapon in public areas of the convention. First offenders will be asked to properly stow the weapon. Second offenders will be barred from MystiCon. (See exceptions for Masquerade and Photography.)
4) Do not make any threatening or aggressive motions with a weapon. Violators of this guideline may be barred from MystiCon for a first offense. (See exceptions for Masquerade and Photography.)
5) Move carefully when wearing or carrying a weapon. Projecting points and edges may poke and jab other people, mar walls or furniture, and knock items off tables. You are liable for injuries, damage, or breakage.
Masquerade Exception: Participants in the Masquerade who feel they need to violate guidelines 1, 3, or 4 as a part of their costume’s presentation may request permission to do so from a Masquerade judge. If permission is granted, that participant may perform the pre‐approved actions on stage only.
Photography Exception: Convention attendees having pictures taken in the designated Photography Area may draw their weapons and pose with them in manners that do not raise concerns for the safety of themselves or others. MystiCon staff members have the final say on questions of safety.
The purchase of a MystiCon badge admits one person to all basic activities and panels at MystiCon during regularly scheduled hours for the day(s) it is purchased. Some designated activities require payment of a separate, additional fee. In accepting this badge and in consideration for being admitted to MystiCon, the holder consents to being recorded (by audio and/or visual means) for exhibition and exploitation by any means in all media, including without limitation the Internet, worldwide in perpetuity.
The badge holder releases MystiCon from any liability for loss or damage to persons or property, infringement of any right, or any other claim or course of action of any kind; authorizes and permits MystiCon and its designees which includes but is not limited to all sponsors, exhibitors and contractors to use and authorize the use of his/her name, voice, likeness and all reproductions thereof by any means and in all media now and hereafter known, including without limitation the Internet, for all purposes worldwide in perpetuity; and agrees to comply with all the rules and regulations of the convention.
MystiCon reserves the right to deny entry or remove from the convention facilities any person who in MystiCon’s sole and absolute discretion is behaving or threatening to behave in a manner which MystiCon reasonably considers to be disruptive of the convention.
* MystiCon memberships are non-refundable.
* MystiCon memberships cannot be transferred forward to the following year.